bettertax refund dudes logo

Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Fantasy Football 2011 - 2012 Concludes

With the football season well and truly over, including England's disappointing Euro 2012 attempt, we can finally conclude the Bettertax fantasy football league competition.

The Bettertax 4x4x2 fantasy football league attracted 44 teams, many newcomers to playing in this sort of set up.

We'd like to thank everyone for taking part and to those who stuck with it, actively making transfers and changes to your teams in an attempt to win. I must admit here that I did become very lazy and so coming in 14th was more luck than skill - or was it ;)!

The team at the top was judged as uneligible for prizes due to only joining the league very late in the season. The team manager graciously accepted this and hopes to show the same kind of winning form next season.

Our winner was then declared as White Eagles F.C managed by Wojciech Grodzki. Wojciech chose the new West Ham away shirt:

The chosen charity was Cancer Research UK.

Our 2nd place runner-up was Stato's Allstars 6
managed by Neil Hale. Neil also chose Cancer Research UK as the recipient of his £50 donation.

Bettertax has made the £100 donation to the charity on behalf of Neil and Wojciech.

We consider the league to have been successful good fun and intend to set up a new league during July, when opens again.

We'd love to see you all again, a little wiser next time, so keep watching out for announcements on Facebook, Twitter, Scaffs forum, Google+ and LinkedIn.

Enjoy the summer - let's hope the sun shines for us all!

Bettertax - Tradesman's Tax Refund Specialists 01280 821020

Join Bettertax on Facebook
Follow Bettertax on Twitter
Join Bettertax Google+ Circles

Thursday, 14 June 2012

Are PAYE Tradesmen due Tax Back?

The simple answer to this is: YES!

It's still very surprising how many PAYE tradesmen aren't aware that very often they are due a tax refund.

bettertax sort out messy tax accounts

There are a number of criteria to consider when gauging the eligibilty of a PAYE tax return.

The most obvious consideration, and one that most tax refund companies will concentrate on and, indeed only complete a tax return on this factor, is the mileage in your own vehicle that has been used during the tax year.

Many tradesmen are expected to pay their travel expenses to get to various sites they are working on. These travel expenses can definitely be offset against your tax bill. Even if your employer is compensating you for some of the allowed mileage amount (currently 45p per mile for the first 10000 miles), you can still claim the balance against your tax bill.

We find that many guys in the trades will also prefer to use their own tools and can often spend a lot of money getting a good toolkit together. These expenditures can also be used on your tax return to reduce the amount of tax you paid.

The same can be said on some articles of workwear and workboots.

At Bettertax, we make sure we claim the absolute maximum tax rebate for you, taking into account all these expenses, not just travel like some companies.

We know that a lot of construction workers struggle to get their tax returns completed for a variety of reasons and we have helped thousands of guys recover their overpaid tax.

Our self-assessment tax return service is easy to understand and hassle-free. Remember, you don't have to be self-employed to complete a self-assessment tax return. If you are unsure about your personal tax situation, we're here to help.

In many cases, people come to us with tax years outstanding and fines on their accounts. Bettertax don't take a penny until we've managed to get their books in order, clear the fines and get the tax refund. Our promise is 100% refund or NO fee!

If you're PAYE and never done a tax return before and think you may be eligible, call us now 01280 821020, for a friendly chat about your situation.

Bettertax - Tradesman's Tax Refund Specialists 01280 821020

Join Bettertax on Facebook
Follow Bettertax on Twitter
Join Bettertax Google+ Circles

Wednesday, 6 June 2012

Should I be CIS (Construction Industry Scheme) registered?

Your employment status, within the construction industry, can often be very confusing, deciding whether you should be classified as CIS (self- employed) or PAYE (an employee).

When being hired, it should be made quite clear to you what your terms of employment are.  When you're working for someone else, you need to know your employment status and HMRC have a guide on their website to help you establish whether you're classed as self-employed or PAYE.

The guide doesn't take long to complete, but if you are at all unsure, we, at Bettertax, are quite happy to assist you.


cis tax refunds for construction workers
This applies to construction workers who are self-employed. Due to the nature of the construction industry, many workers in this sector are hired on a subcontractor basis, getting paid for when they work but not being required when a job finishes.

Being self-employed does give flexibility. To work in this way, you need a UTR (Unique Taxpayer Reference) number. Your contractor can then pay you and deduct 20% tax (instead of 30% with no UTR). Your UTR number can take a few weeks to come through, so as soon as you know you will be self-employed, contact your local tax office or ask us to help you!

At the end of the tax year, you can complete a self assessment tax return in order to claim back any tax that you will have invariably overpaid - offsetting personal allowances and allowable, eligible expenses.

We know how confusing all these processes can be so, part of the tax refund service Bettertax offer is supplying all the forms you need to register as self-employed, obtain a UTR number and set up National Insurance contributions.

Our tax advice is always free, we're happy to help!

Bettertax - Tradesman's Tax Refund Specialists 01280 821020

Join Bettertax on Facebook
Follow Bettertax on Twitter
Join Bettertax Google+ Circles